Friday 5 September 2008

No Time To Knit

Yesterday I never got to pick up my needles. What a shame! At lunch time I sat in my comfy chair for five blissful minutes, watching the blue-tits on the bird feeder (I think the rain is making them grumpy; they seemed to be arguing!) and wished I could spend a quiet afternoon knitting and looking out of the window. Then, as I put on my office clothes, jumped into my very own car and drove independently to work, I reflected on all those women who longed to get out of the house and play in the world. Ironic, isn't it?

Modern life is way, way, better. I'd never wish to go back. Knitting to support the family must have been absolutely gruesome! As Mark Twain says, 'Work is anything a body HAS to do,' but all kudos to those clever knitters like the Yarn Harlot and Eunny Jang who make a living from knitting.

No comments: